Title IV School Code: 012259
Locations & Hours:
Downtown Campus, Room A208
Mon - Th, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Fri, walk-ins: 8 a.m. - Noon
VA and L&I Certifying Official: Mon-Thu, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. and Fri, 8 a.m.-Noon
South Campus, Student Center
Tu & Th, 1-4 p.m.
VA and L&I Certifying Official: First and Third Wed, 8 a.m.-Noon
Second Wed. of each month, 10 a.m.- Noon
(Office closed during school breaks and holidays.)
For many students, making the decision to attend college is an easy one. However, some might worry about how to pay for your education, from tuition to books and supplies. The Financial Aid office is your go-to resource for learning about the various types of financial assistance available.
Eligibility for Financial Aid
A student may be eligible for financial aid if he or she is:
- Attending Bates to obtain a degree or certificate
- A U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Making satisfactory progress in a program of study, as defined by the Financial Aid Office satisfactory academic progress criteria.
- Not in default on any previous student loans or owing a refund on any grant
- Registered for the draft with Selective Service, if required by law
- A high school graduate or a GED® completer
Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid as early as possible since pre-qualification may take up to eight weeks from your application submission date. Students and their families do not necessarily need to be considered low-income to qualify for some kinds of financial aid, but students must demonstrate financial need to be eligible for most federal assistance.
Most financial aid awards are based on demonstrated financial need, which is the difference between the Cost of Attendance (COA) and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Cost of Attendance minus Expected Family Contribution equals Need. (COA-EFC=Need) The EFC is determined from the information you reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Once your need is determined, your financial aid will be calculated based on eligibility and enrollment for the quarters you will be attending. All awards are subject to availability of funds. State Need and Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity grants are depleted early each year. These funding sources are are re-allocated on a first-come first-serve basis throughout the financial aid award year.
Bates Technical College does not issue paper financial aid checks. A BankMobile Refund Selection Kit will be mailed to your home after you have completed all required steps for your financial aid file. The kit will come in a bright green envelope from Bank Mobile. Please remember to keep your mailing address updated with the Registration Office, since the address that appears in your student records file is the address the Refund Selection Kit will be mailed to.
Financial aid disburses funds on a quarterly basis. To be considered for priority processing, applications should be complete and accurate by the quarterly deadlines listed below:
Application deadlines for 2017-2018
Financial Aid quarterly processing deadlines
- Fall: June 5, 2017
- Winter: Oct. 16, 2017
- Spring: Jan. 15, 2018
- Summer: April 16, 2018
Application deadlines for 2016-2017
Financial Aid quarterly processing deadlines:
- Spring: Jan. 16,2017
- Summer: April 17,2017
Even if you're receiving financial assistance from agency sources (L&I, VA, DVR, WorkSource, WorkFirst), you may be eligible for additional grant aid from state and federal financial aid sources.
Types of funding available
- Title IV Financial Aid (FAFSA) - The most common source of financial aid for college students.
- State Financial Aid programs: Washington Opportunity Pathways
- State Financial Aid DREAMers - For Washington state low-income, non-citizen students
- Workforce Education Services (WES)- Other financial aid services
- VA Benefits
- Passport to Bates Promise Program (pdf) - For current and former foster youth. Click here for Educational Training Vouchers.
- Scholarships - Available through the Bates Foundation
- Related Programs: Workforce Education Services (WES)