The foundation has two opportunities during the year for faculty awards. First, is our longstanding tradition of awarding mini-grants. The purpose of the mini grant awards is to fund innovative and unique projects or programs that enhance the mission and goals of Bates Technical College, but which may not normally be funded through the college's annual operating budget.
Secondly, the foundation awards an annual Exceptional Faculty Award. The Exceptional Faculty Award was established to provide recognition to faculty who demonstrate exemplary work performance, positive impact on students, professional commitment, and other contributions to the college. The award is made possible through an endowed trust fund established by the Washington State Legislature and by donations from the Bates Technical College Foundation. The selected honoree will attend the 2016 National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD) International Conference on Teaching and Leadership Excellence, to be held May 28-31, 2016, in Austin, TX.
Exceptional Faculty Award 2015-2016
2015-2016 application opens Oct. 12, 2015.
|Monday, Oct. 12
||Announce open nomination process/application|
|Monday, Nov. 2||Application deadline|
|Dec. 15, 2015||Foundation announces 2016honoree|
|May 28-31, 2016||NISOD Conference, Austin, TX|
To be eligible, the nominee must be a full or part-time faculty member employed at Bates for a minimum of one year. A recipient of the award will not be eligible to receive another award for a period of four (4) years.
Selection: Self-nominations accepted. Any Bates employee may also nominate another faculty member. The selection committee will review the nominations and support letters and make a recommendation to the president and executive cabinet for final decision. Nominations will be evaluated and selected on the following criteria:
- Exceptional service to a program or discipline. Enriching the classroom with knowledge, experience, and vitality; demonstrating to a superior degree the characteristics of good college teaching: knowledge of subject, enthusiasm, clarity of presentation, ability to involve students, creativity, and student empathy.
- Dedication, knowledge, expertise or exceptional achievement in a program or discipline, or an academic or professional specialty.
- Positive impact on students. Being a mentor and/or exemplary advisor. Generates excitement for learning.
Exceptional Faculty Honorees
Mini-Grant 2015-2016 Request for Proposals
The Bates Technical College Foundation is pleased to offer up to $10,000 in mini grant awards in for faculty and staff. The purpose of the mini grant awards is to fund innovative and unique projects or programs that enhance the mission and goals of Bates Technical College, but which may not normally be funded through the college's annual operating budget.
|Application opens:||Monday, Oct. 12|
|Applications due:||Monday, Nov. 2 at NOON|
|Grants must be used by:||Friday, April 29|
Tips & Tools
- You can NOT save your application and return to it later. Type your answers in a Word document before you start the application. Then, simply cut and paste your answers in to the application when you are ready to submit your work.
- To upload files such as the budget, click on the 'Choose Files' buttons on the bottom portion of the application.
- The deadline to submit an application is Monday, Nov. 2 at Noon. Proposals will only be accepted online.
- The average grant amount awarded is typically between $500 -$1,500. The maximum that can be requested is $1,500.
- There is no limit as to how many applications can be submitted by any one person or department. However, keep in mind that multiple proposals are not typically funded. The committee may choose to only fund one proposal.
- Funding will not be granted for activities that are not directly related to Bates Technical College or its students.
- Scholarship funding for students will not be considered.
- Awarded funds that are not spent by April 29, 2016 revert back to the foundation.
- The foundation reserves the right to award grants in lesser amounts than requested.
- The foundation reserves the right to extend the deadline if an insufficient pool of applications is received. The extended deadline will be widely publicized. Proposals submitted before the extended deadline will not be penalized in the scoring.
Questions? Contact the foundation at 253.680.7160 or email email@example.com.