Downtown Campus, Room E201
1101 S. Yakima Ave., Tacoma
Emergency? Call 253.680.7111
Please note: You must dial 9 to reach an outside line from an on-campus phone.
Parking and Permit Information
Students, staff and faculty must have a valid parking permit to park on campus.
Once you apply, you may pick up your permit at:
- College Operator, Downtown Campus, Room M211 (Student Support Services)
- Campus Public Safety Office, Downtown Campus, Room E201 or South Campus behind the Sudent Services counter in Building A
Once you have your permit, you may park in designated areas on campus. Links to designated parking maps are below. If you are parked in an area not authorized by your permit, you may be cited or have your vehicle impounded. If you have questions on where to park, please call Campus Public Safety at 680.7111.
Each of our three campuses have some reserved parking for visitors. Please refer to the campus maps below for designated visitor parking.
Bates has entered into partnership with several neighborhood churches around the Downtown Campus in an effort to expand general parking for staff, students and visitors at this campus. The churches have allowed Bates to use their parking lots during the work week. Occasionally, these parking lots are unavailable to us because of church functions or special events, so please be aware of this when parking in these lots.
- No valid permit displayed: $25
- Parking in area not authorized by permit: $25
- *Blocking or obstructing traffic or impeding college operations: $50
- Parking in reserved staff space without authorization: $50
- Handicapped parking violation (RCW 46.19.030): $450
- *Parking adjacent to fire hydrant: $25
- *Parking in fire lane: $25
- Parking in zone or area marked "no parking": $25
- Reckless/negligent driving: $40-$100
- First offense: parking privileges on all campuses revoked
*Fine can be reduced 50 percent if paid within five days of citation issuance.
You can receive a 50 percent reduction in your parking or traffic citation if paid within five (5) working days of the violation date. You can pay a parking or traffic citation by check or money order made payable to Bates Technical College, or in person at the Registration Office, Downtown Campus, Room M210. Please do not send cash through the mail.
Send payment to:
Business & Finance Department
1101 S. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405
Contesting a Parking or Traffic Citation
To appeal a parking and traffic citation, please submit a written appeal with specific details within five (5) working days of the violation date.
If you submit your appeal more than five (5) working days after the violation date, it will not be considered. All written appeals must be delivered to Raymond Richardson, Campus Public Safety Sergeant or they may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College Health and Safety Manager will make the final decision on your appeal. If you disagree, you can appeal this decision to the Parking Advisory Committee. This appeal must be made in writing and delivered to the Campus Public Safety office, Downtown Campus, Room E201. The violator will be notified in writing of the Parking Advisory Committee's decision. Parking Advisory Committee decisions relative to parking and traffic appeals are final.
The following reasons are not generally considered as valid extenuating circumstances for an appeal:
- Lack of knowledge of the regulations
- Other vehicles were parked improperly
- Lack of parking permit
- Previously received a warning from campus officer for similar offenses
- No other place to park
- Late to work, class or appointment
- Did not see the sign or line markings
- A note of explanation was left on the windshield.
Send your written appeal here:
Campus Public Safety Sergeant
Campus Public Safety, Room E201
1101 S. Yakima Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98405
For vanpool (5-15 persons), arrange your transportation needs with the local transportation system. You can find links to help you do this below. Then, contact Campus Public Safety to register your van and obtain a special college parking permit.
For carpool (2+ persons), arrange your transportation needs with the local transportation system, fellow students, or through Campus Public Safety. Then, contact us to register your car and obtain a special parking permit.
Public Transportation Certified van or carpools are authorized to park in any carpool or vanpool parking space. Vanpools receive priority, and if no car or vanpool space is available, you can park in any lot.
Campus Public Safety must renew vanpool and carpool parking permits within the first two weeks of the quarter.
Reference links for van/carpools: