Running Start students are juniors and seniors enrolled in their home high school, and who also want to work toward their college degree or certification. Students can enroll in most Bates career education programs, tuition free, and pay only for consumable items and quarterly fees.
Students enroll full or part time, depending on the number of classes needed to graduate, and can either earn or work toward completing an associate of technology degree, a certificate of competency, a certificate of training, or numerous industry certifications.
The Running Start program has many advantages for high school students eager to get a head start on their careers.
- A wide variety of career education programs and technical certifications and certificates that are not available at many area high schools.
- The opportunity for high school-age students to learn in an adult environment that mirrors the workplace.
- The ability to earn college credit, tuition free.
- A flexible schedule. Students can enroll in daytime, evening or online courses, which can offer the non-traditional high school student an easier path to educational success.
- Must be a junior or senior as determined by their home high school
- Must be enrolled in a local high school or home schooled
Steps to Enroll:
- Schedule an orientation session with the Running Start Advisor at 253.680.7264.
- Complete entrance testing. You will receive a testing schedule at your initial appointment with the advisor, or you can call the Assessment Center at 253.680.7039.
- Meet with your home high school counselor to complete the Running Start enrollment and advising forms. Your high school counselor will help you select the appropriate courses to enroll at Bates.
- Enroll in your classes! Call Bates' Running Start Advisor at 253.680.7264 to schedule an advising appointment. Be sure to bring your completed Running Start enrollment forms and testing information.