Program Outcomes (HVAC/R Technician)
At the successful completion of the program curriculum, students will be able to:
- Follow safe working practice.
- Apply the principles and strategies used for the installation of air condition systems, heat pump systems, electric furnace, fossil fuel furnace, and system controls.
- Apply the principles and strategies used to troubleshoot and service air condition systems, heat pump systems, electric furnaces, hydronic systems, fossil fuel furnace, and system controls.
- Recognize components and design principles used in air distribution systems.
- Use mathematical skills to solve problems in electrical, heating, and air conditioning systems.
- Apply troubleshooting skills to diagnose and repair the following: air distribution, electrical, heating systems, hydronic systems, cooling systems, and system controls.
- Use tools and equipment required for repairing, testing, and installation of air conditioning systems, heat pump systems, hydronic systems, electric furnace, fossil fuel furnace, and system controls.
- Perform basic business, employability and customer service skills as related to the HVA/C-R industry.
- Complete AHRI Industry Heating and Cooling Competency Exam (ICE exam).
- Handle refrigerant by completing EPA Section 608 Type II Technician Certification.
- Apply the basic principles of energy management.
In addition to the following college-wide learning outcomes reflect the guiding expectations of all programs at Bates Technical College:
- Human Diversity
- Effective Communication
- Critical Thinking