Afternoon Technical High School
Students enrolled in Afternoon Technical High School at South Campus start their day with academics and attend their career education program in the afternoon.
Qualified students work toward their college degree or certification, tuition free, in a handful of career education programs at South Campus. Afternoon Technical High School students pay only for quarterly lab fees and consumable items.
Afternoon High School Career Education Programs:
- Auto Body Rebuilding and Refinishing
Students learn collision repair methodology, frame and body straightening, the use of cutting tools, finish work, estimating and tool management.
- Automotive Mechanic
Students learn to use diagnostic equipment, perform repairs, overhaul transmissions and more while working toward their ASE certifications in Bates' active auto service shop.
- Diesel Mechanic
Students learn to diagnose, repair, and rebuild powertrains, electrical systems, and hydraulic and brake systems of diesel powered vehicles in a service-oriented shop.
- Digital Media
Learn to produce and edit TV, video, and web-based digital media using professional-grade editing software and video equipment.
- Welding [on-hold during remodel.]
Students use hands-on training to learn all aspects of welding, flame cutting and fabrication in a shop environment. This practical training encourages student involvement in the building trades.
- Must be between 16 and 21* years old
- Have at least 5 high school credits
- Meet specific career training entry requirements
Steps to Enroll:
- Attend a High School Orientation
- Bring your completed application materials, including official transcript, placement test scores, to the High School Office
- Determine in which afternon high school career training program you'd like to enroll (see list above).
- Meet with your High School Advisor, register for classes, and begin as soon as the following quarter!
*Students who turn 21 years old after Sept. 1 in the current academic year remain eligible for state-funded high school services.