Career and Technical Education
If you have business and industry experience and want to make the transition to the teaching profession, then consider pursuing a CTE certification at the secondary level, grades 7-12. Bates is Washington state Professional Education Standards Board-approved to offer this business and industry route to CTE teacher certification.
The program consists of the following teacher preparation courses:
• Methods of Teaching
• Occupational Analysis
• Course Organization
• Philosophy of Career and Technical Education
• Industrial Safety
• Work-Based Learning Coordination
• Student Development and Leadership
• Diverse Needs of Students
• Introduction to School Law
• Abuse and Neglect of Children
• Teaching Practicum - CTE
2016 - 2017 Class Schedule is now available!
Registration for Fall Quarter 2016 opens July 20 and closes September 1.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and classes do fill up! We encourage you to register early to ensure a seat in the class. Click here to register online or visit us in person. Contact Ines Lamberton by email or 253.680.7467 if you plan to register in-person.
In addition to the required courses, there is also a basic skills proficiency requirement that must be met:
- At least 30 credits of college-level courses (100-level and above), or
- Bachelors Degree or higher, or
- COMPASS Assessment results placing student into 100-level Math and Reading (testing available through the Bates Technical College Assessment Center)
Our staff can provide a transcript review to help determine if you can substitute previous coursework for a required course(s).
Our quality, competency-based training is flexible, which makes it easy for you to maintain jobs, family and quickly make progress in our program. Courses are offered quarterly on weeknights and weekends and via distance learning, and an accelerated summer weekday offering gives you the opportunity to complete the majority of courses during summer.
You design your own plan to meet your individual needs.
To register for the teacher preparation courses or to learn more about the program, contact 253.680.7467 or email Ines Lamberton. You are also welcome to submit a registration request online with a Visa or MasterCard, or you can stop by the Student Services Office, South Campus, to register and pay.
Requirements for CTE Certification-CTE Grades 7-12
Contact the OSPI Certification Office for CTE certification requirements and the application process: www.k12.wa.us/certification/CTEMain.aspx, firstname.lastname@example.org, 360.725.6400.
GI Bill/Financial Aid: Continuing education programs are not eligible for financial aid, including, but not limited to the GI Bill, federal financial aid or state aid programs. If you are a veteran receiving assistance through the GI Bill, please contact Andy Hall, VA certifying official, to check if the VA will fund your continuing education program before enrolling.
Self-Support Classes Refund Policy:
- 100% When Bates Technical College cancels the class.
- 100% When withdrawal is at least one business day prior to the first day of class. To officially withdraw from the class, you may come in or call 253-680-7467.
- 0% When registered but do not attend the class. No refunds are available after the class has started.
Bates will cancel a class if there are too few participants enrolled to cover the cost of the class. Bates reserves the right to cancel classes, reschedule classes, or change instructors. You will be notified only if class is full or if a class cancellation occurs.