Commercial Truck Driving: Entry Level
**This program is full until Winter Quarter 2014**
Bates Technical College is the only school in Washington State certified by the Professional Truck Driver Institute. Students prepare for entry-level employment as commercial truck drivers with the goal of a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL)with all endorsements.
Training takes place in classrooms, on Bates' truck driving range, and on the road, using a variety of equipment.
Note: Through an Opportunity Grant, special tuition and book funding is available to assist low-income adult students entering this program. Contact Ramon Burton, 253.680.7544, for more information.
1. possess a valid Washington state driver's license;
2. have a driving record with no DUI, negligent, reckless, or hit and run infractions within the past five years;
3. have no more than three moving violations in the past 36 months (a state vehicle operating requirement);
4. must be able to pass the Federal Department of Transportation (DOT) physical exam and drug screen*;
- FMCSA is changing regulations about who can provide a DOT physical exam from "any willing provider" to a National Registry of Medical Examiners. A link to that registry is here: https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/home.seam
- MultiCare Centers of Occupational Medicine is one of these providers. The fee for this examination is $100.00. They may be contacted by email at email@example.com, or by visititng their website at: multicareoccmed.org. Students are encouraged to begin this process as early as possible.
5. not have a felony within the past five years;
6. be a minimum of 18 years of age to enroll in local commercial driving; and
7. be a minimum of 21 years of age to enroll in long-haul commercial driving.
*DOT drug tests require laboratory testing (49 CFR Part 40 Subpart F) for the following five classes of drugs:
- Opiates - opium and codeine derivatives
- Amphetamines and methamphetamines
- Phencyclidine - PCP
Program Length: Two quarters (approximate)
Certificate of Training: 40 Credits
TRUCK 101 Safety/First Aid
Students must choose one option:
|Option A: Local||CREDITS|
TRUCK 110 City/Town Driving
|Option B: Long Haul||CREDITS|
TRUCK 112 Freeway/Open Road II